Skip to main content

Elder Nelson - Family Day and History Symposium


Dear Family,

Mission NewsMonday Elder Larsen and I went to the Japanese restaurant where David works. We are still trying to get him to come to Church, but he did not make it today. He has a substance abuse problem that we would like to help him with.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I went to Woodbridge and Annandale zone interviews. While the president was interviewing the elders, I was going over device audit procedures with the elders who were waiting. I learned/observed a couple of things:

I need to come up with a plan to pull mission owned devices out of the field. The missionaries will use the devices they have purchased and brought into the field. There are a couple of issues with this. First it is not obvious how to store all of the data on the phone to an area safe place in the “cloud”. 90% of the data is stored on the area book which is a cloud software. The remaining 10% is not so easily saved so new missionaries coming into the area can have it.

Second, on exchanges missionaries that have the SIM card on their phone will want to take their phone with them on the exchange leaving the missionaries serving in the area without an area book or easy ways to communicate with their friends.

Third, missionaries need to log out of all of their applications and set their passwords to the mission standard.

President Caplin invited me to the first interviews with the zone leaders. They discussed the key indicators for the zone and how things are going. Then he discussed with the missionaries the people they are teaching. He gave them detailed direction about how they should work with these friends. He coaches not only the zone leaders, but every companionship on how to teach. I was amazed that he would do that. My mission president only interviewed me a few time and we never discussed the people we were teaching.

Wednesday I was asked to write a little background note for some missionaries. The missionaries taught a member of the city council in Herndon on Tuesday night. He asked the missionaries if they would like to come to a city council meeting on Wednesday and he would introduce them and let the city council know what good work the elders are doing. With the help of one of the members I put together a short introduction. The missionaries said it well. The city council meeting is streamed over the internet so members of the community can watch the proceedings.

We had a short visit with Nancy on Thursday evening. Graciela and Lucas were there too. Nancy was troubled about something so the elders decided not to give a lesson.

We have an elder that has a bad ankle with a fair amount of tendon and ligament damage. The doctor wants him to stay off his feet for 6 weeks. President Caplin asked if we could keep him busy in the office for 6 weeks. I don’t think we can – unfortunately. He is a good likeable elder and we would love to help him. However, it just does not seem like a good idea.

Fun StuffA BYU History Symposium was held at the Washington DC Visitors Center on Saturday. One presentation on how the Lord helped the colonists defeat the British Army and Navy was very interesting.

The Church has been working on the Washington DC Temple for a couple of years and the have at least one more to go. This picture was taken just outside the visitor’s center.
WES News
Good June, July looks surprisingly strong. We might break even in July.

Family NewsAfter Chelsea dropped her roommates off at the airport she ran over some debris on the freeway and wrecked her bumper. Fortunately she is fine, but her car will need some body work.

Father’s Day gift from Chelsea

Note I did not communicate well with my barber. The sides are cut shorter than they have ever been. But in two weeks it will look great.

Love,
Dad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sister Nelson - Transfer Week

Dear Family, Well, this was transfer week and that always makes life interesting. Monday I spent the day getting all of the rent checks printed and mailed. Some of them have changed where they want the checks delivered and I haven’t been able to get them changed in IMOS yet. It is not because I haven’t tried, but I didn’t have time to worry about it this month, so I printed the checks and then typed envelopes manually with the address that needed to be on the checks. We also had missionaries coming into the office to get their exit interviews and that is fun to visit with them. These are missionaries that we have known for almost a year and it is getting harder and harder to see them go home with each transfer. It is, pretty amazing, to compare their pictures of when they came with the people they have become—both physically and spiritually. We are so impressed with the missionaries here. Dad had to leave to go get a 15-passenger van to help pick up the missionaries from the ai...

Elder Nelson - Mt. Vernon

Dear Family, We are still working about 10-hour days, but we now know more of what we are doing. There are still things we don’t know, but those mysteries are much fewer and less frequent than 2 weeks ago. The couple we replaced, Elder and Sister Beus, left September 10, 2018. We arrived October 2, 2018. Before the Beus’ left, the Judson’s came to fill in the breach. They served in the office 5 years ago and kept things going until we came. They have been coming in about 3 times a week to train us and help us out. But we are far enough along that we will now call them only when we are stuck. I am going to run my stuff mostly on the computer. I will still have files but many of them will be on the computer instead of paper files. My calendaring will be done more on the computer. I think in a month or two I will be able to get my current tasks done in 6 hours a day. I will then be able to help out elsewhere or do some creative things. Friday, we got a free Papa John’s pizza. The ...

Sister Nelson - Anniversary and Thanksgiving

Dear Family: This may be short letter because my hands are tired and I know that if I don’t get the letter done today, it will take weeks. This has been a fun, full week. We started this week off bright and early. It was our anniversary and we arrived at the office at 8 am. It was probably because we didn’t stop and fix a lunch but decided to come home and have lunch here. While we were home for lunch, Garn got a phone call from President Caplin asking him if he could arrange for a ride to the airport for one of the sisters. Not wanting to take more of our share of being with the missionaries, Garn called another senior couple to see if they could do it. They had meetings that prevented them from helping out and it was getting close to the time that she needed picking up. We decided to do it ourselves. We called the office to get them to send the travel plans that had come since the time we left the office. We picked her up at her apartment, talked with her companions a mi...